Integrating with QuickBooks Online requires a number of technical setups along with a few configuration elements in the EKA Omni TMS.
EKA Omni TMS Configurations:
- EKA Administrator turns on the integration
- Accounting Type is set to either Accrual or Cash
- User Email selected and entered for email notifications from QuickBooks when the authentication expires; authentication expires every 6 months
- Account Settings for Detail or Categories is selected
- Business Units / Classes are Included or Excluded depending on the QuickBooks Online version the customer is using
- QuickBooks account numbers entered
Your EKA Customer Success resource will need to turn on the integration for your account.
Once the administrative set up is complete, the EKA Omni TMS Configurations will need to be completed. To do this, go to Administration → Configurations → Finance → QuickBooks. Each of the account numbers will need to be mapped in order for the integration to connect successfully.
Upon completion of the account codes, the option to “Connect to QuickBooks” will be available in the same configuration section which will establish the connection between the two platforms.
- Click “Connect to QuickBooks”
- User will be redirected to Intuit and will be prompted to log in
- Log in and grant all access
- User will be redirected back to the EKA Omni TMS
- If the connection has been successful, a green checkmark will be displayed in the account mapping section
- The date of the successful connection is the date from which transactions will be pulled to be sent to QuickBooks
QuickBooks Online Configurations
The account numbers in QuickBooks also require a short setup process that assists with the mapping.
- Click on the Settings icon, Account and Settings → Advanced
- Under Chart of Accounts, turn on “Enable account numbers” and check “Show account numbers”
- Under Categories, turn on “Track classes” - this may not be available in all versions of QuickBooks Online, so if it is not part of the subscriber’s package, the next steps can be skipped
- Add the QuickBooks accounts that were entered into EKA Configurations
- Click Settings → All Lists under “Lists”
- Chart of Accounts
- Click New
- Account Type must equal the type for the account you are adding from EKA Configurations; Bank, A/R and A/P should go to those respective account types; we recommend “shipper” accounts go to “Income” and “carrier” accounts go to “Expenses”
- Account Number must equal the account number from EKA Configurations
- Detail Type - name values do not really matter
- Save and Close
Customers are matched between EKA and QuickBooks using the company name. For existing customers, we strongly recommend making sure that the company names match exactly between the two systems prior to turning on the integration to avoid duplication.
Carriers can be matched between EKA and QuickBooks using the Carrier ID in EKA. This field would be matched to the Account Number field in the vendor profile in QuickBooks. For existing carriers/vendors, we strongly recommend utilizing the ID matching and completing the setups on both sides prior to turning on the integration to avoid duplication.
Alternatively, if the ID matching is not used, the matching will be done by carrier name. If matching by name is the selected path, carrier/vendor names should be matched exactly between the two systems prior to turning on the integration to avoid duplication.
Once all setup is complete, data will begin to flow between the two applications. Data is transferred on an hourly basis.
To get started with a QuickBooks integration, contact the Customer Success team at firstname.lastname@example.org.